THE WONDER OF CHRIST’S BIRTHPLACE
December 3, 2017 Text: Micah 5:2
God magnifies His glory through that which is insignificant.
GOD REVEALS HIS GLORY BY INSIGNIFICANT PLACES: Bethlehem-Ephrathah.
The Association with David: Bethlehem is the City of David.
> David’s insignificance.
> David is a symbol of hope.
The Smallness of Bethlehem.
> It is a shunned village.
> It is a small village.
GOD REVEALS HIS GLORY BY IMPLEMENTING HIS PURPOSES: “one will go forth.”
His origin: “from long ago…from the days of eternity.”
> It speaks of activity: “whose origin is from of old…”
> It speaks of antiquity: “from the days of eternity.”
His rule: “a king will come forth for me…”
> The rule is the fulfillment of God’s purposes. Luke 1:32-33.
> The characteristics of that rule.
- It begins with rejection.
- There will be a restoration of leadership: “He will arise.
- He will protect Israel from their enemies: pasture and protect.
- He will empower Israel to live in safety: “they will remain.”
- He will be their Peace: “This One will be our Peace.”
- He shall be great to the ends of the earth.
- God loves to work through “no” bodies and “no” things.
- God exalts the humble.
- God keeps His promises. “Hope still springs alive in the breast of the believing heart.”